CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 23, 2008

It Has Finally Happened!

We have finally hit the day where there is no hot water! For some reason in Ukraine they turn the hot water off for two weeks for maintenance, at least that is what I was told. They turn it off so that they can clean the pipes. Now how that is done is a mystery to me as last week they put chemicals in the water and told us not to use it from midnight to 7AM. Now they have turned the water off to clean the pipes - how do they do that? It is also a way that they have to catch up on the charges. Oh, well no matter what - it is no hot water for two weeks!



This picture was taken this past Sunday at one of my favorite gardens on our walk to the Church. It has a variety of flowers that have been blooming at different times so far all spring/summer. You can see the snowball plants now. The smells and variety are really impressive and it is just a calm feeling here.


This trip I was noticing all of the different balconies that were on the buildiings so thought I would send you a few.











It has been amazing to me how many little outside cafes have sprung up every where once the warm weather has hit. They just add awnings, sometimes a floor and there is a cafe.

After the trip to the St. Sophia Church we decided to go downtown where there was an international folk presentation. The fountain area is just the main square of town and this is a typical place to hang out on Saturdays. They even close down part of the main street to car traffic.

The festival was held at the "Friendship Arch". This is again a monument built during the Soviet time to honor the relationship Ukraine and Russia had. At night there are different color lights on the arch like a rainbow.



Was going to send a few more pictures but John needs me to type some letters for him. We were in a huge rain storm last Thursday and were wet from the waist down even with umbrellas. We have learned to take them with us as even Saturday it rained while we were at the Internation dance Festival. Love you all. MOM and DAD

1 comments:

BS and the Kids said...

I love the updates and the pictures. It is so fun to see what you have been up to. You both look great. I will try and get your package sent to you, I took it over from Truman, and I will send it to you today, but I may need your address. I have to look through to see if I have it. Things are going good, just getting ready to eat some ice cream.