CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 4, 2008

Life in ОБалон

4 Feb 2008 We have been pretty busy this past week - at least the week seems to have flown by. Sunday night we had the Elders over for dinner and we were talking about Pes. Hinckley and how he was doing so well for his age. So on Monday when we got the notice from Sarah that he had passed away it seemed so sudden. We are saddened but glad that he did not have to suffer long and he is now with his family and Savior. We watched almost 4-5 hours on his life Saturday evening. It was nice to hear of his accomplishments and how his life was such an example of following the Savior. Simple but examplary. He will be missed. Tuesday and Wednesday Dr. Mc Cune came in from Moscow to orientate us to what we are suppose to do at least part of our time. John is now offically over the missionaries in the Baltic Mission covering Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, Ukraine which covers Kiev, Donetsk and Dneproptrovsk and the Bulgarian and Georgia Missions. We are to receive any calls the Elders may have, or the mission Presidents wives may have about the health of the missionaries. We have had a few calls since then, mainly for the common problem of diarrhea! (Czars Revenage). Part of Wednesday we went on some sight seeing around the city. Went to a folk art museum which featured a local artist, they also had some graphic prints that reminded me of Leo's. We then went to the One Street Museum which had a lot of older history artifacts, trouble was that it was all in Ukraine with no subtitles! Wonder if that is how foreigners coming to America feel? We then walked up the street past the home of Булгаков a Russian novelist whose writings were prohibited to be published while he was alive. Dr. Mc Cune said that they were worth reading so we will try to obtain a copy. Tuesday evening we were invited to Pres. Davis' home for a welcome and going dinner for the Senior Missionaries. On the way home, on the Metro, as we were getting on I noticed a black man get on with us. You must realize that black people in Ukraine are almost rarer than in Pocatello. John was standing on my left and this man on my right. I was hanging on for dear life, as one time I found myself sitting in anothers lap, as the metro moved as I started to set down. At least I was saved from the floor. Anyway we had gone through a few stops when I noticed a lady standing behind me, apologizing I moved over so she could get off. At that time I mumbled something about not understanding her. The man then asked if I did not speak the language in his broken English. We exchanged a few words when he asked where I was from. I asked him where he was from and he stated Ghana. He asked what we were doing in Ukraine where I told him missionaries for the Church LDS. He asked if the head of our church had just died, he expressed his sorrow and talked about how much good the church was doing. He also reported that he hoped that we got a Mormon Pres. that would be good for the world. He stated that he had many books from our religion and had had some discussons. As we were about to get off I told him that there was a church in Obalone and he asked where. Unfortunately we did not know that but he then gave us his telephone number so we could call him the information. His name is Chris, the missionaries are to follow uo on this. Who knows, maybe something will come of that visit. I have walked and walked and walked. But somehow I am sure I will walk some more. You would think the weight would just fall off but we will see about that. Sunday we went to church again in Ukraine. The 3 hours seem to go by pretty fast but I wish we could understand somethings. Oh, forgot to tell you that we went to dance practice for 2 hours on Sat. morning. Then went to the Renicks, which are small market places all in this big area. They all sell a variety of things but so common. Dad bought a cap and we bought a pan for cake and a casserole dish. We are suppose to barter I have been told, but who likes to do that. Sunday we again had the Elders over for dinner. I made a pot roast with potatoes and carrots, etc., with the leftovers we had a little stew today for lunch. Tonight went to the store and I thought we could have stir fry. Found some vegetables that I thought were stir fry with pineapple. Imagine my surprise when I got ready to add the veg. to my meat and again found potatoes, carrots, etc. Same meal that we had for lunch. Oh, well this time I had made rice so we just added a few more starches. Can't even understand the pictures. Dad and I continue to disagree on which way to go and where things are located. Must say that he has finally admitted that I am right most of the time. This morning we had to go to the mission office, we have been there abot 3x. as I turned to ring the door bell his reply was what are you doing. I just continued to walk in. Maybe he will learn this place before we go home. We are both doing fine. Today we set up some more of the office. Think we will find enough to keep us busy. Hope this finds you all doing well. Write when you have time. Luv J J

2 comments:

BS and the Kids said...

I am so glad to hear you are doing well and even got to watch some stuff on Pres. Hinckley's life. He truly was an amazing man. I will try and get you that recipe. I think it is on the family blog somewhere. It is super easy. I love to know that you are cooking even though it is the same thing over and over again, he he. How did you get those letters on your blog anyway? Things are going good here. I will try and be better about emailing so you can see more of what we are up to other than the blog. Much love.

Anonymous said...

Hello! My spouse and I were Peace Corps Volunteers in Ukraine - your flat is in the same block we stayed in a few times when we were in Kiev! I cannot say I am homesick, but nostalgic! We loved our 27 months in Ukraine. Our site was in Kerch, on the Black Sea. You may enjoy reading my journals and looking at our photos at : www.pulverpages.com

Keep up the good work over there and I wish you belssings of joy and abundance!

"Ginn"
Virginia J. Pulver
in Sunny Santa Fe, NM
www.pulverpages.com